Thursday, September 21, 2006

I saw a soldier today ...


I saw a soldier today ...
He was grocery shopping like the rest of us ...
He was wearing his green combat uniform and beret ...
He was just walking through the store ...

But to see him, brought tears to my eyes ...

I wanted to stop him ...
I wanted to shake his hand ...
I wanted to say "Thank You," ...
I wanted to tell him I'm sorry for the latest losses he and his comrades are feeling ...
I wanted to offer him my support and a prayer ...
I wanted to speak words of encouragement ...

I wanted to ... I should have ...
But I couldn't ... I only had tears in my eyes ... I turned away ...

Had I spoken to him today, I know I would have wept ...
the words would have caught in my throat ...

I wanted to ... I should have ...

But instead I offered a smile, and I nodded my head ...
and I silently said a prayer for him and for all our soldiers ...
especially those who are coming home wounded and broken in the coming hours ...

I saw a soldier today ... and there were simply no words that I could say ...
Except two:
THANK YOU.

No comments: