Friday, September 08, 2006

Ten Favourite Films set in New York City ...

It might be because the fifth anniversary of 9/11 coming, but for some reason, New York City has been on my mind alot lately ...

It got me thinking about movies I've watched set in New York ... I can remember watching one film (poorly made) that was supposedly set in New York city ... unfortunately, the real location for filming was Toronto, and the CN Tower popped up in many of the outside shots: "HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE CAMERA ANGLE??" I asked when I saw the ubiquitous Toronto landmark for the umpteenth time in the film ...

But by way of honouring the Big Apple, a city I've flown over on my way to Cuba, but have yet to set foot in (something I hope one day to change) ... I offer this list of my ten favourite films set in New York city ... Or should it be My Ten Favorite Films ??

Whatever ... here they are:

1) The Fisher King - I JUST loved this movie ... Robin Williams as Perry was brilliant, the setting, the script - everything was tremendous
2) King Kong - all three versions ... even the 70's one ...
3) Sabrina - both the old and the new, though Bogart and Hepburn were smokin ...
4) Rear Window - I could be wrong, but it had to be New York ...
5) Miracle on 34th Street - the original IN black and white is unbeatable ... it is a really good film, one you can watch with your kids ...
6) Batman (with Keaton and Nicholson) - okay, it was in GOTHAM, but any Batman geek knows that Bob Kane was writing about New York City !!
7) X-Men - not all the movie was set there, but the last battle scene rocked ...
8) The Day after Tomorrow - the special effects with the climate changes, tsunami, and so forth - just awesome ... not a GREAT film but fun ...
9) Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York. - okay not a FINE film, but a good one to sit and watch with the kids for a laugh ...
10) Breakfast a Tiffany's - just plain delightful ...

I'm sure there is more ... but I can't think of them right now ... in the coming days though, I will think of the families in and around New York who still grieve 5 years on ... I will think of that day when the truth seemed stranger then fiction ... I will not weep ... but I will say a prayer of thanks that even in this confusing cosmos of ours - Goodness WILL triumph over evil ...

1 comment:

Katie Bowen said...

If you're ever out this way let me know, I can take you to a place that just might give Chipperfields a run for its money...

I hear our beloved president is going to be in town on the 11th. (Got a sofa in Canada I could stay on until he leaves?)