Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What kind of animal would you be?

I was recently asked - "If you could be any animal, what would it be?'

At the time, my answer was - "A Lion", but the other day I found on the web a write up about a Honey Badger ... I love the North American Badgers ... I weep when I see then as road kill on the highway ... but I enjoy watching the Badger at the Winnipeg Zoo. So, when I found this article, I was intrigued ...

Okay, maybe obsessed is more accurate. I read everything I could about the Honey Badger ... They are one very cool, very funky animal ... They even have a cool hair style.

They are secretive, and endangered in their home range in Africa.

The diet of Honey Badgers consists of some of the most dangerous snakes in the world, snakes it bravely fights, and turn into well earned, and highly nutritious meal. But what struck me was the following comment I read in a National Geographic article online (click on the title to link to it) about a Honey Badger who tangled with a Puff Adder:


One night we saw a young male collapse. He'd been struck in the face by a puff adder just before he bit its head off. We expected that he would die. But after two hours he woke up, groggily finished his meal, and later trotted off into the sunrise. We witnessed other encounters in which honey badgers appeared resistant to even the most potent venoms, though we don't yet understand the physiology that protects them. Digging for dinner, then playing it cool.

I want to be like that ... Take the hit ... sleep it off ... shake it off and get ready to go ...
Wouldn't it be nice to be THAT tough ??
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to face the venom in our lives and live to fight another day?

So right now, if I had a choice - I'd come back as a Honey Badger ...

1 comment:

xlá juana said...

amazing! I know how you feel about this animal, and how this reflects the battle of a Christian against evil... I say aleluya!
(by the way, I call "aleluya" my four year-old child and I guess that´s how you visited my blog :D)
God bless you, Rev, and your people and work