Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Too Close to home ...


When I heard the news about the soldiers killed and wounded in Afghanistan yesterday a knot formed in my stomach ... I had no idea why ...

Today I found out ... One of those wounded, now wending his way home via hospitals in Afghanistan, Germany and Canada is a neighbour ... the father of one of my son's best friends ...

He was wounded handing out candy to children ... Children like the three who wait with fear and apprehension for his return ... Children like those who weep today for four more who will not be coming home ...

I do not support this war ... there are no victors in war ... only victims ... today I learned that our community has been one of the victims ...

The yellow ribbons in our yard, and those around our town remind all of us that our soldiers are in very real danger, even when they are handing out candy to children and food to civilians ... The yellow ribbons remind us that the wounded and the dead are not just statistics - they are very real people ... and today they became people I know and like ... This one is JUST too close to home ...

My prayers remain for our soldiers ... all of them ... and their families ...

2 comments:

Gord said...

Would this be the friend who was at supper the night we were there?

Reverend Shawn said...

Yes ... it was him ...
Sounds like Dad's gonna be okay ...