Monday, September 18, 2006

Living in a Barbie World ...



As the father of two beautiful daughters I have to confess that I worry about what influences will shape their view and experiences of the world ...

We live in a world where female role models are sometimes suspect ... Do we really want our daughters growing up to become like Paris Hilton??? God I hope not ... and the sweet, mom and apple pie girls like Lindsay Lohen and Brittany Spears have taken a turn for the weird lately ... and sadly, my girls are to young to see some one like Susan Saradon as a hero yet ... So, who's left?

Yesterday, I found a quotation about Wonder Woman that caused me pause ... I've always like Wonder Woman ... I even liked the campy 1970's version with Linda Carter on TV ... Wonder Woman may be able to teach our daughters how to be strong, intelligent, tough and all the things the feminist dad in me what for my daughters, while simultaneously being beautiful, courageous and very feminine - all the things little girls want to be ...

Given the current batch of media role models that are being offered to our girls, Wonder Woman looks even better then ever before:

Wonder Woman was co-created by William Moulton Marston and his wife Elizabeth Holloway Marston for DC Comics in 1941. She is one of the first female superheroes. For several years she was described in the splash pages of each story as being "beautiful as Aphrodite, wise as Athena, swifter then Mercury, and stronger then Hercules." She is a member of the Justice League ...

Makes me want to hit a Toy Store and look for some Wonder Woman toys for my girls ...

1 comment:

Katie Bowen said...

“Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express.”

~Joseph Addison