Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Penultimate Day of Summer ...

They stand on the back of a boat ... they've been watching whales ... enjoying the scenery ... cruising a coast that is familiar, they come back every year ... and yet seeing it from the water it becomes awesomely new to both of them ... they watch the boat head back to port ... the wake of the boat marks the trail for an all too brief moment in time ... the path we've taken visible for a moment ... the memories lingering perhaps for a life time ...

I wonder what are they talking about??

I wonder what are they thinking??

I had to take the picture and capture the moment ... a moment that is precious for its locale ... but a moment that is sacred for its participants ...

On the stern of a west coast boat stands a big brother and his pesky littlest sister ...

They hate each other one moment and can't live with out each other the next ...
They can play with one another and scream at each other ...
They can fight and co-operate sometimes simultaneously ...
They are wonderful and incredibly frustrating all at once ...

I hope they've had a good summer. I hope they carry with them the same kind of wonderful memories that I do. I hope they look back on this summer and remember it fondly ... I know I always will ...

Too bad it had to come to an end ... tomorrow school starts ...
What tales will you weave with your friends listening ??
Will you speak of whales and eagles? Will you tell them of mountains and glaciers?
Will you smile when you remember kayaking in the bay and swimming at the beach?

As summer fast folds into fall ... run, leap, play, ... laugh, sing, scream for joy ... enjoy the last vestiges of the season ... for you've helped your dad drink deeply from cup that is life ...

Thanks kids ... you're great ... and I don't say it often enough ...

No comments: