Sunday, September 17, 2006

I Have a Dream ...



The most inspiring speech offered by the late Civil Rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. was one hot August Day when he stood in front of a huge crowd in Washington DC and annouced boldly:

"I have a dream ..." and he laid out his vision of what could and should be the reality lived by people of every hue and colour ...

King was a dreamer ... He lived, worked and died trying to make his dreams a reality ... His dream is in progress, but it was and it remains a good dream. It was a dream of justice and equality for all people ... It's a good dream.

Dreams are good. Dreams give us the hope we need to get out of bed in the morning and envision what our day could be ...

I like dreams ... I'm a vivid dreamer. My dreams often involve real people in real settings, and often I find myself waking up from dreams laughing, smiling, or even gasping in delight ...

I remember waking from a dream about my nephew, sister in law and a tiger loose in the house laughing ... My sister in law had shrieked" A----, if the tiger craps on the floor YOU'RE cleaning it up ..." My wise nephew who was about to jump over the balcony to escape the maurading cat said, "Mommy, somehow I think the tiger CRAPPING on the floor is the LEAST of our worries ..." When I shared it with my nephew you laughed and said - "Sure Uncle Shawn ..." as he shook his head at his strange old uncle ...

Today I remembered a dream I often had a child ... The dream I could fly ... I can remember dreaming of flying over my home, my school, zooming through the top branches of trees and ploughing through cold misty clouds high in the sky ... They were wonderful dreams that I have no intent to analyze, but simply recall and enjoy ...

There was something freeing about a dream where I put out my arms and rose into the air and was able to twirl and swoop and fly ... I always woke up disappointed, not disappointed that I couldn't fly, but disappointed that the dream had ended ...

Dreams are good ... they breath into our soul hope of what might be ... they breath into our soul the possibility of flying if we dare to believe ...

Sometimes we just need to believe in our dreams ... even when they are silly and seemingly impossible ...

1 comment:

Katie Bowen said...

Are your dreams silly Rev.? Do you think they're impossible?